Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bedtime story

Today I felt a bit like Frances.

"Well," said Frances, "things are not very good
around here anymore. No clothes to wear.
No raisins for the oatmeal.
I think maybe I'll run away."

"What time will dinner be tonight?" said Frances.
"Half past six," said Mother.
"Then I will have plenty of time to run away
after dinner," said Frances,
and she kissed her mother good-bye
and went to school.

I'd like to run away.

"Where are you running away to?" said Father.
"I think that under the dining-room table is the best place,"
said Frances. "It's cozy,
and the kitchen is near if I run out of cookies."

But not very far. And to somewhere with cookies nearby.

From our bedtime story A Baby Sister for Frances by Russell Hoban, 1964, renewed 1992.

2 comments:

katie said...

we love frances.
(haven't read that one.)

sometimes we also like to sing to our food. (bread and jam for frances.)

Jesse said...

tomorrow you will run away close by :)