Sunday, July 13, 2008

A curse is lifted

Today, I realized that I can read.

This warm Sunday afternoon, I found myself in bed with a particularly interesting text on the psychological meanings of picture books, and I thought excitedly to myself, "I am reading a book on the psychological meaning of picture books. How can this be?"

I learned to read sometime during the first grade. I hardly remember a time in my life that was not shaped by books. I even went to graduate school to study them. I was always reading something and surrounded by stacks of volumes just waiting for me. But one rainy December day, my books all fell shut and seemed to lock me out.

Once upon a time, not too long ago, a baby girl was born. Though she filled her home with joy and beauty, a powerful curse accompanied her. Grown-ups could not finish their books no matter how hard they tried. Countless hours were spent pouring over picture books with the tiny girl. She took her mommy on many happy literary adventures with bunnies and owls. Yet, as the mommy openned books written just for her, her eyes grew very heavy, and she fell fast asleep. As the little girl grew, her liveliness and laughter made her mommy so glad, but still, she could not open the books she longed to read.

Then, suddenly, the good fairies of imaginary friends and pretend play came to their little home and lifted the spell on the household. The little girl's mommy could read books meant just for her. They were glad, indeed.

2 comments:

katie said...

love it.
love your writing. love your thoughts. and love you.

i wish you could come over and read to me. apparently these days, all i can read is on my computer screen.

Lizard said...

beautifully written. I still want to know why I'm so late knowing about this blog!!